Highway Code changes

Have a good moan here about anything you like.

Moderators: old misery guts, CJ, Jethro, Crumpy Gunt

old git

Highway Code changes

Post by old git »

Shushhh! DON'T TELL ANYONE!

There are big changes to the Highway Code that the Government has not told us about.

Pedestrians a have right of way if they step off the pavement in front of your car!!!

If you knock someone down IT IS YOUR FAULT!!

Motorists now must leave 1.5 metres minimum if they overtake a cyclist and cyclists are now being told to occupy the middle of the lane.!!

I thought this must be some kind of a joke until I heard Chris Boardman on the BBC this morning.

They are spending millions of pounds on more, wider, cycle lanes.

Motorists are being potentially criminalised by stealth...

https://news.sky.com/story/highway-code ... g-12521747

The pen is mightier than the sword... Take away the sword; States can be saved without it!

Edward Bulwer- Lytton 1839 historical play - Cardinal Richelieu
Rudolf Hart

Re: Highway Code changes

Post by Rudolf Hart »

Yay verily.....and the meek inherit the earth.
Tolerance is a set allowance that ensures a good fit and smooth running. Any more tolerance and things get sloppy or don't work at all.
We live in a very, very tolerant society already.
williamtravis

Post by williamtravis »

Un..bee..lee.va...abul.
" The white liberal is the biggest threat to the black man "

Malcolm X
old git

Post by old git »

I think these new rules will cause Nationwide road rage. The motorist is becoming demonised to such an extent that car manufacturers are having to anticipate the irresponsible actions of unregulated road users ie.cyclists. For example, my new car has a devise built into the door mirror that prevents the door from being opened if it detects someone approaching from behind.
The pen is mightier than the sword... Take away the sword; States can be saved without it!

Jethro

Post by Jethro »

If I had my way bicycles riders would have to be insured and pass a test before going anywhere on a public road. FFS the reason there are so many accidents involving bicycles is because the twats that ride them have no idea about road safety and think they have a God given right to do as they like.
How about enforcing the law where a cyclist thinks red lights do not apply to them?
When my life is over And my time has come to pass
I want to be buried upside down So the world can Kiss my Arse.
Boundah

Post by Boundah »

I treat every other road user, be it a bus driver, lorry driver, car driver, white van man, motorcyclist, bike rider, horse rider, pedestrian or a mother pushing her kids in a buggy, as an idiot.

I drive accordingly because I expect them all to do something stupid and try to either kill me or put me in jail.

So far my method has worked and since I passed my test in 1976 I have not had so much as a dent in my bumper apart from the one that I suffered in a Tesco car park in York where some careless, selfish twat had clipped me while parking and not had the courtesy to leave a note. I took my frustrations out on the firing range the next day and passed my Annual Personal Weapons Test with the grade of Marksman.

The moral of the story is, don't take your rage onto the road. Take up panel beating or become a blacksmith or find a hobby whereby you can beat the bejeesus out of an inaminate object rather then try and kill someone just because he thinks he is so important he should be in front of you on the road.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

A woman doesn't want a man's opinion, they just want to hear their own opinion repeated back to them in a deeper voice.
old git

Post by old git »

Personally, I can't see any reason why cyclists should be able to use road space free of charge. Of course they should be insured and need to pass both practical and theory tests before taking to the road. No question.
That said, I also do not think getting angry is the answer to anything.

I remember when I was a lad, my Dad would not let me use a bike in the evening without lights. I now often see kids riding bikes at night without lights. When I try to intervene (and I flipping well will!) I usually get either a shrug of the shoulders ...if not a mouthful of abuse.

What I am also saying is that no matter what rules are laid down, if they cannot be enforced - because they are unenforcible - there is no point to them. If the present rules are not enforced what is the point of bringing in new ones that will simply cause confusion and frustration. Road rage is abhorrent but it is likely to get worse especially among those who have little or no self control.

The Highway Code will now encourage cyclists to ride two abreast! It's bad enough where I live that the lane is clogged up with horse riders...without having a gaggle of cyclists who think they are entitled to cause an obstruction.

Incidentally, I passed my driving test in 1971 and have held a clean licence ever since. The one occasion I was involved in a car crash was when a silly old fool ( under the influence of prescription dugs ) rear ended my car and wrote it off. My wife was injured and received substantial compensation.

whostolemyhair?

Post by whostolemyhair? »

When I passed my test in the 70's, there was a lot less traffic on the roads, and many more cyclists. When the hooter blew at the glass works where my granddad worked, heaven help anyone who got in the way of the torrent of pushbikes coming out. The phrase road rage did not exist. Lycra did not exist.

The morons on the road demanding equal space for cyclists and are happy to hold everyone up are the root cause of the problem. Cyclists need to be controlled and policed.
The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off.

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.
Boundah

Post by Boundah »

The Highway Code is a crock of doggy-doo-doo. It is so full of shoulds, musts, wills and have tos that it is at best a confusing place for anyone to be, let alone a brand new driver dipping their toe into the cesspools that are our public roads for the first time. Even us seasoned motorists have to read the thing a couple of times to determine what is law and what is a guideline set down by the Highways Agency under the advice of the myriad legal and quasi-legal entities.

Driving in Germany is so much less stressful because the German Highway Code is absolute and incontrovertible. It is based on and derived from their law which is musch simpler and infinitely more sensible. It is all 'must do' and if you break the rules then you pay the consequences - often very swiftly and harshly as the Germans have on the spot fines that if you cannot pay at the roadside will automatically go to court, cost you at least double and result in points on your licence, and they will impound illegal vehicles without a second thought (no proof of insurance - which you are required to carry by law, or your TUV test (MoT) or car tax is out of date - both indicated by a badge fixed to your rear number plate).

For example, any driver rear-ending another is automatically at fault because they contravene the section of traffic law that says you must not follow so close to a vehicle that you cannot pull up and stop in time to avoid a collision with the vehicle in front of you. There is none of this, "he stopped so suddenly I didn't have a chance to react" nonsense. You are bang to rights matey.

The vast majority of road junctions are marked by a sign that indicates who has priority and should a junction not be so marked then the overriding law is that you should give way to the right. The latter condition applies to buses, lorries, cars, white van men, motorcyclists, bike riders, horse riders, pedestrians or mothers pushing their kids in a buggy. So if you cut someone up by not following the sign, or not giving way to the right in the absence of such a sign then it is your insurance that will foot the bill- none of this 50/50 gubbins (and, as I have already said, if you cannot produce proof of insurance at the roadside then you will have to go and collect your car from the pound once you have the right paperwork).

At the point of entrance to a town there is a sign that welcomes you to the town. That sign also indicates that the speed limit from that point on is a flat 50kph and there will be a complementary sign at the end of the town limits releasing you from that speed limit and, if necessary, imposing a further restriction. There is none of this, 'if there are street lights 100m apart the speed limit is 30mph - the whole town is covered by the blanket limit unless additional signs reduce it further. I have seeen 30mph, then 40mph, then 30mph signs all in line on the same stretch of road within 400 yards of each other (it was in York some years ago when mini-roundabouts were just being introduced). I have also heard of people being let off a speeding fine because kids had turned the 30mph sign around. It just doesn't wash in Germany - if you are in a town you know what the speed limit is.

These are just some of the things that makes understanding how to negotiate German roads so much easier - there are so many more. Life on British roads would be made so much simpler if the rules we are supposed to adhere to were presented clearly and unambiguously.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

A woman doesn't want a man's opinion, they just want to hear their own opinion repeated back to them in a deeper voice.
old git

Post by old git »

This new Highway Code "hierarchy " is just another sop to more petty officialdom. I detest and resent officialdom. :(

Francis Bacon

Post by Francis Bacon »

I have noticed a new trend on the roads. Frequently I find myself driving along when another car approaches a side road. It stops at the junction, sees me coming and then bloody well pulls out anyway, causing me to take action. The Highway Code should provide for the ritual disembowelment of these tosseurs.

I sometimes wonder if Harry Potter has been banging Hermione on the back seat of my car and then left his cloak of invisibility behind afterwards, for all the visibility I seem to have to other road users.
No, I really don't want to attend the office party.
old git

Post by old git »

What colour is your car, Francis? I have a theory that if a car stands out it is less likely to be ignored. In contrast, one that blends with it's surroundings gets taken for granted.

Francis Bacon

Post by Francis Bacon »

old git wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:00 pm What colour is your car, Francis? I have a theory that if a car stands out it is less likely to be ignored. In contrast, one that blends with it's surroundings gets taken for granted.
You may very well have a point; it's black. Perhaps I should get one of these...

No, I really don't want to attend the office party.
old git

Post by old git »

Haha! I think that might give me a complex! :shock:

whostolemyhair?

Post by whostolemyhair? »

No problem remembering where you parked it.

Police playing snooker would give you a pass.
The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off.

The problem with playing golf with the seniors is that half the players could not see where your ball went and the other half can not remember.