* FAQ   * Search
 * Register  * Login

Grumpier Old Men

"I don't believe it !" - Victor M.
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:30 pm 

Hero who restrained armed robber is arrested by police

So, member of the public and stepped in - have a go hero- gets arrested instead of receiving a medal and not only that -

they've set up a crowdfunding page for the ex-armed robber.

here

the comments say it all really.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:56 pm 

The arrested body has been released.

Do we have any sources other than the Daily Heil?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:03 pm 

Just when you thought you'd seen and heard it all... :(

A woman doesn't want a man's opinion, they just want to hear their own opinion repeated back to them in a deeper voice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:20 pm 

Bob Tappin wrote:
So, member of the public and stepped in - have a go hero- gets arrested instead of receiving a medal and not only that -

they've set up a crowdfunding page for the ex-armed robber.

Too bloody right he got arrested. :roll: A dollop of saneness,bit of saneness on top,with extra saneness, I would say.
The police have to investigate a death caused during any restraint, what ever the background of the incident. The usual trash reporting from the media making it look like a "Hero" has been hard done by.
More likely he was interviewed under caution, had he refused he would have been arrested. For all we know the "Hero" might be a known thug who has previous, who got carried away using excessive force causing a mans death. The law is crystal clear, the use of force must be proportionate and not excessive.
The man that died did not look frail or likely to die if restrained, the police have to establish that the death was not intended or caused by the use of excessive force, even if a robbery was in progress.

As for the fund raising, Nothing surprises me in this crazy world of social media.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:38 pm 

We only ever get half the story with this sort of thing. The papers like to peddle any sort of tale that can give the impression of a miscarriage of justice; especially if the Police can be shown in a bad light and they give scant regard to the facts.

Frankly, I take stories like this with a pinch of salt. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:55 pm 

Jethro wrote:
Too bloody right he got arrested. :roll:

Just being arrested can affect your ability to get a visa to travel to the United States.

How fair is that?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:16 am 

Bob Tappin wrote:
Jethro wrote:

Just being arrested can affect your ability to get a visa to travel to the United States.

How fair is that?

It is totally unfair. My wife was arrested for alleged shop lifting some years ago. No charges were brought, and the CPS our legal expenses of £10,000.00 If we wanted to go to the USA she would have to get a visa in London, at a cost of over £100, whereas I could get one on line. There should be some compensation available.

When Rachel Nickell was murdered the police arrested iirc 27 people, and Colin Stagg spent some time in prisoin for a crime he did not do. However, I agree the Jethro that this chap sounds a bit handy, he probably put the boot in.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:35 am 

A man dies in an incident like that ,there must be accountability and the certainty that it was as it looked. Just as Jethro said.
It would probably be fair to say however, that if you don't go into a shop with a baseball bat and golf club to rob it, this probably wouldn't happen to you.

-- Casey Stengel (1890 - 1975)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:02 am 

Bob Tappin wrote:
Jethro wrote:

How fair is that?

As I said earlier, he was probably questioned under caution, the media used the term arrested. That is the trouble with the media, you have to filter out the crap to get to the truth. Too many people see it in print as believe every word. Had he lied in an earlier statement he could have been arrested or if he refused to be questioned by police after the man died. As usual the Daily Mail only print the bits the idiots want to read, leave the facts out and you have a story. If this "Hero" was arrested as the paper reports there would be more to it then they have reported, key facts are missing.
At the end of the day someone died as a result of being restrained by a member of the public, that cannot go uninvestigated. Personally I would not call the man a "Hero" I would say he was rather stupid, for getting involved in a struggle with a man armed with a baseball bat, that altercation ended in a mans death, questions have to be asked, did our "hero" use the bat on the dead man, if so that is not reasonable force. What do you expect the police to do, turn a blind eye when someone has died in a fight.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:54 am 

Bloody Daily Wail and its ability to edit facts to make a sensational story that retards believe.

Either the 'av a go' hero was unlucky that he hit a guy with a fluke result, or he was overdoing the defence.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:55 pm 

Location: Near Roonald McDoonalds, but sufficiently far away not to smell the onions and cheese.
The Police have a duty to investigate any death where this is suspicion of foul play so I don't understand how this can be madness.

Yes, the robber was clearly a scrote but he does leave behind two children who didn't have a choice in all of this. Credit to the ex-partner and her calm statement. Strange as it may seem. I can understand the motive behind the money raising/hardship fund. Remember this is for the benefit of the family, who will now need to find an unexpected sum of thousands of pounds (at least) for funeral costs and more, and not for the benefit of the dead man.

The friend who started the Crowdfunding appeal said:

'He left behind two small children and a absolutely heartbroken family.... i thought it would be nice to raise some money to give to his children and help support the family in any way possible.....'

Can't see anything wrong with that.

It has been said before many times that the Fail needs to up its game. It is the paper for the terminally hard of thinking.

I am only surprised the Lord of the Dance has not yet wielded the Invalidator.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:15 pm 

I forgive the DM the odd exaggeration. When I was an Immigration Officer in Lagos I was lied to a lot, by a Bishop, Catholic Priest, fellow Diplomat, bank managers, senior police officers, a Cabinet Minister, Headmasters, and hundreds of lesser mortals.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:53 pm 

D P Dance wrote:
I forgive the DM the odd exaggeration. When I was an Immigration Officer in Lagos I was lied to a lot, by a Bishop, Catholic Priest, fellow Diplomat, bank managers, senior police officers, a Cabinet Minister, Headmasters, and hundreds of lesser mortals.

Not surprised Dips, the clue there is Lagos.

-- Casey Stengel (1890 - 1975)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:42 pm 

Location: Near Roonald McDoonalds, but sufficiently far away not to smell the onions and cheese.
Saying that the DM is guilty of the odd exaggeration is like saying that Ian Brady was a bit of a naughty man.

Hyperbole and deliberate oversimplification of reporting is what the DM is famous for. It is about the only thing that gets the blue rinsers moist.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:03 am 

D P Dance wrote:

So what?